What is equine CranioSacral
“Cranio refers to the skull, and “Sacral” refers to the sacrum a bone in the pelvis.”
The CranioSacral system includes the skull, the cerebro spinal fluid, the spine, the spinal cord, the pelvis and the meninges of your horse.
The brain produces fluid which is called cerebrospinal fluid. This protects and nourishes the brain and the spinal cord. The fluid moves from the head to the pelvis and back to the head again. It is one of the body’s rhythms, such as breath, heartbeat and bloodflow. A CranioSacral therapist can feel this subtle rhythm everywhere in the body and it can find possible blockages. Often blockages in the CranioSacral rhythm can be traced back to connective tissue (fascia) tension which can cause pain, stiffness and health issues.
A treatment starts with the evaluation of your horse’s CranioSacral system. Is start off by placing my hands gently on the skull, the back and the pelvis. There are certain places where it is easier for me to sense the rhythm. Such as the forehead, the nose and the sacrum bone in the pelvis.
If I find fascia tension, increased bone pressure or lack of rhythm I can help the horse in various ways to release this. A treatment takes 40 minutes to one hour. Depending on what the cause of the problem is, 3 to 5 treatments are needed.
It is always my goal to help your horse relax deeply and move better. After a first treatment you should be able to notice if your horse has reacted positively or not.
Watch the videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/equinecraniosacral
What to remember
- The initial treatment costs € 100,- excluding travel expenses Follow up treatments cost € 80,- excluding travel expenses.
- CranioSacral Therapy can never replace proper veterinary care. But it can make a significant contribution to the health and well being of your horse.
- CranioSacral treatments are more effective if your horse does not have dental issues. Always get the dentist in first if it has been a long time since your horse has seen a dentist). The same goes for hoof problems. If your horse has hoof problems they need to be resolved first.
- 3 to 5 treatments are recommended. if your horse is otherwise healthy and in good condition you should be able to see improvement after the first session.
- Allow your horse to rest on the day of the treatment and the day after and do not plan a treatment too close to an important competetion or event, but allow for 48 hours.
- CranioSacral therapy is very compatible with regular and other alternative treatments such as acupuncture, osteopathy, T-touch and massage. It can even enhance the effect of these treatments.
When is CranioSacral Therapy useful for your horse?
CranioSacral Therapy can relieve or resolve the following problems your horse may have:
- your horse is stiff in the back, neck or hocks
- you suspect your horse has a headache
- your horse has “headshaking”
- your horse has clogged tear ducts
- your horse has arthritis
- you have trouble training your horse and correcting left/right imbalances
- your horse lacks energy and has behaviour issues you cannot explain
- you have a gelding, his gelding scar feels cold and or tight (this can limit his movement)
- your horse puts too much weight on the forehand
- your horse does not step under properly
Alexander Technique for riders
I am available to teach Alexander Technique courses, private lessons and lectures for riders and Centered Riding instructors. Please contact me for more information
Before and after pictures
Click here to see before/afer treatment pictures
Click here to get in touch with me
This image is a simplified version of the CranioSacral system of a horse.